The Twelve Steps of Co-Dependents Anonymous
1. We admitted we were powerless over others - that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and lives over to the care of God/ Higher Power.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God/ Higher Power, to ourselves, and to another human being, the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God/ Higher Power remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked God/ Higher Power to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for knowledge of God/ Higher Power's will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other codependents, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
HOW DO WE WORK THE TWELVE STEPS?
With a sponsor being the preferred way in which to do your steps, however, you could even do them with a counselor, therapist, or even a clergy person. Once you have attended meetings, and made the personal decision to do your steps, then you will find someone that demonstrates the level of recovery and happiness that you want in your life. Once this happens you ask them to be your sponsor it is that simple.